I am so happy with the way that our window seat turned out. It looks just as I imagined, and I can hardly wait to get some pillows on it and put it to use.
We started a few weeks ago with our trip to the local Home Depot. The plan was to start the project that weekend, but we realized the next day that we had the wrong screws.
With a few minor setbacks, we were able to make some major progress each weekend. I think total was maybe 3 weekends which included some days of not doing any work at all.
In the beginning the kids were fascinated with all the tools in the house and couldn't wait to get their hands on helping out!
Framed and read for a front, and more supports.
Here you can see we added the floor, as well as a bypass for the heater vent.
My kids thought it was fun to climb in the box.
PLEASE ignore the debris everywhere else in the picture. This half of my house looked like this for a while... I know, bad....sigh
I think we ran out of caulking a few times which slowed the progress slightly.
Awe, a lid at last!
Here it is today!
Before & After
So there you have it! Our completed project. I have to give my husband a lot of credit for this. I basically told him what I wanted and he built it. We didn't have plans to go off, just some images of window seats we loved. I kept on telling him that it was just a box.... he kept assuring me that it was so much more. :-)
I know our window doesn't have the classic bay window where you see most window seats, but it works well for the space we have. I am so ready to frame out the window and update the rest of the molding in the house now too. The new freshly painted window seat sure makes that honey oak look seem dated.
I will be linking this up with Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Feature Friday
As well as A Soft Place to Land DIY Day